Purpose of the Course
The purpose of this course is to help equip leaders at First Baptist to understand and love God’s word better. This course will enable students to create better lessons, studies, or sermons. Students will better understand how to observe, interpret, and apply the biblical text.
Each study session will involve three activities—reading a text, watching a video, and answering some questions.
Read the Materials
Each session, materials should be read before watching the weekly video. These will come from Grasping God’s Word by J. Scott Duvall and Daniel Hays. This is a well-respected and easily found textbook. Be sure to acquire the textbook and not the workbook.
- Either the 3rd or 4th edition of the textbook are fine for this class. There is also a Chinese version that is also suitable for those who read Chinese.
- The textbook is commonly used and can be found at stores like Evangel, Canaanland, or SUFES.
- The book is also available in various digital formats:
- The book is also available at outlets such as Book Depository, but it may take some time to arrive in Malaysia.
These materials will deal with the topic addressed in the upcoming session’s video. Thus, you
need to read prior to watching the video for the session.
Watch the Video
Every session, Dr. Kyle will prepare a video between 1-2 hours long. The video will focus on additional topics outside the reading, go more in-depth on some topics from the reading, or give Dr. Kyle’s perspective on the topic for the session. The videos will include discussion, as well as opportunities to think more deeply about the topic and apply it.
Videos will be released and watched on Google Classroom.
Take the Quiz
Each session will have a brief quiz related to the session’s topic. The questions will be (1) multiple-choice, (2) matching, or (3) drop-down choice. The quizzes will be available online when the weekly video session becomes available.
Join Google Classroom to submit the Quiz
There will be five scheduled Q&A sessions with Dr. Kyle to cover the topics from the previous few weeks. These will be on Saturdays from 8:30-10:30pm per the schedule below.
Schedule of the Course
|11 Sept 2021||Purpose of Biblical Interpretation & Translations||N/A|
|25 Sept 2021||Scripture and Sentences||GGW ch.3|
|9 Oct 2021||Paragraphs and Discourses Q&A Session 1||GGW ch. 4|
|23 Oct 2021||Historical-Cultural Background||GGW ch. 6|
|6 Nov 2021||Literary Context & Word Studies||GGW ch. 8-9|
|20 Nov 2021||Where is meaning found? Q&A Session 2||GGW ch. 7 & 10|
|4 Dec 2021||Application||GGW ch. 13|
|18 Dec 2021||Interpreting Letters||GGW ch. 14|
|22 Jan 2022||Q&A Session 3|
|15 Jan 2022||Interpreting Gospels & Acts||GGW ch. 15|
|29 Jan 2022||Interpreting Revelation||GGW ch. 17|
|12 Feb 2022||Interpreting Narrative Q&A Session 4||GGW ch. 18|
|26 Feb 2022||Interpreting Law (Torah)||GGW ch. 19|
|12 Mar 2022||Interpreting Poetry||GGW ch. 20|
|26 Mar 2022||Interpreting Prophecy Q&A Session 5||GGW ch. 21|
|9 Apr 2022||Interpreting Wisdom||GGW ch. 22|
Zoom ID for Q&A Sessions
Time: 8.30pm-10.30pm (GMT+8)
Dates: 9 Oct 2021, 20 Nov 2021, 22 Jan 2022, 12 Feb 2022, 26 Mar 2022
Join Zoom Meeting Click Here
Meeting ID: 953 0853 3603
How to use Google Classroom
1) If using a browser from a laptop, you will see on the top bar: “Stream”, “Classwork”, and “Marks”. Go to “Classwork” to find the videos, quizzes, and reading assignments.
2) If you are using the Google Classroom app from your phone, the tabs are on the bottom: “Stream”, and “Classwork”. Click “Classwork” to find the videos, quizzes, and reading assignments.
If you are interested in the course or have questions about it, please email email@example.com