Purpose of the Course
The purpose of this course is to help equip leaders at First Baptist to understand and love God’s word better. This course will enable students to create better lessons, studies, or sermons. Students will better understand how to observe, interpret, and apply the biblical text.
Each study session will involve three activities—i) reading a text, ii) watching a video, and iii) answering some questions.
About the Lecturer
Dr. Kyle Essary teaches Old Testament and Hebrew subjects for Equip in the Equip-MBS Diploma and Degree program. He holds a Ph.D. in biblical studies and focuses his research on Old Testament narrative, cultural identity in Genesis, and biblical theology. He is originally from Dallas, USA, but has lived in China, the Middle East, and Malaysia for most of the past decade.
#1 Read the Materials
Each session, materials should be read before watching the weekly video. These will come from Grasping God’s Word by J. Scott Duvall and Daniel Hays. This is a well-respected and easily found textbook. Be sure to acquire the textbook and not the workbook.
- Either the 3rd or 4th edition of the textbook is fine for this class. There is also a Chinese version that is also suitable for those who read Chinese.
- The textbook is commonly used and can be found at stores like Evangel, Canaanland, or SUFES.
- The book is also available in various digital formats:
- The book is also available at outlets such as Book Depository, but it may take some time to arrive in Malaysia.
These materials will deal with the topic addressed in the upcoming session’s video. Thus, you
need to read prior to watching the video for the session.
#2 Watch the Video
Every session, Dr. Kyle will prepare a video between 1-2 hours long. The video will focus on additional topics outside the reading, go more in-depth on some topics from the reading, or give Dr. Kyle’s perspective on the topic for the session. The videos will include discussion, as well as opportunities to think more deeply about the topic and apply it.
Videos will be released and watched on Google Classroom.
Alternatively, the videos can also be watched on this YouTube playlist.
#3 Take the Quiz
Each session will have a brief quiz related to the session’s topic. The questions will be (1) multiple-choice, (2) matching, or (3) drop-down choice. The quizzes will be available online when the weekly video session becomes available.
Join Google Classroom to submit the Quiz
Schedule of the Course
How to use Google Classroom:
1) If using a browser from a laptop, you will see on the top bar: “Stream”, “Classwork”, and “Marks”. Go to “Classwork” to find the videos, quizzes, and reading assignments.
2) If you are using the Google Classroom app from your phone, the tabs are on the bottom: “Stream”, and “Classwork”. Click “Classwork” to find the videos, quizzes, and reading assignments.
Optional: You may view the Q&A sessions here.
If you are interested in the course or have questions about it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have finished the course with at least 70% on all the quizzes, you may request for a printed certificate of completion by email to email@example.com
The printing fees cost RM 30, but the cost is exempted for leaders, co-leaders, and facilitators serving in First Baptist Church.
If you would like to pay for the printing or give a free-will offering, make the payment to business account ‘BT76’ and indicate that it’s intended for the Biblical Interpretation Course. If it is for the printing of certification, email the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org